Friday, January 2, 2009

Top 8 of Oh-Eight

December '08 went by as fast as my checking balance seems to...but with much better results! After a much needed and enjoyable vacay in North Carolina, I am back in Austin and back in gear.

Over the last few weeks, I have read many top lists of 08. I figured I needed one as well, but this one's a bit different...it's my combination of everything great, in my top 8 of Oh-Eight. Some of these will come as no surprise, but some...well, just may!

8. Twilight...the book.
Favorite Guilty Pleasure of 08
I thought I was too old to enjoy Vampire high school love stories, but alas I was very, very wrong. The first in a 4 part series, this story was so good and addicting that I couldn't put it down and finished in 2 days. I will be visiting the book store today to purchase the rest of the series. FYI, the book was not published in 08, but the new movie was released in 08, giving even more attention to the series. Haven't seen the flick yet, but it looks pretty yummy as well.

7. Tina Fey...and all her personalities
Favorite entertainer of 08
I have been a Tina fan for quite some time, but this year was epic for her. 30 Rock continues to crack me up and her impersonations of Sarah Palin on SNL were so funny I thought I was going to pee myself. "I can see Russia from my house" - I mean who could make this stuff up? Oh wait, she didn't even have to...


6. The Dark Knight
Favorite movie of 08
Movies are very important to me...I love any stories, romantic, funny, dark, depressing. This was an easy choice for me for my favorite flick of 08. The whole country was antsy at seeing Heath Ledger's last performance, and it did not disappoint. But, Heath was not the only stand out in The Dark Knight...kudos also belong to Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Aaron Eckhart...and the list goes on.

5. Momo's, Austin TX
Favorite live music venue
Over the past few months I have found many places that I adore in Austin, but this one in particular has crept up to the top of my list. A great club to catch local songwriters, bands and the occasional touring show, Momo's has those atmosphere we all long for to see live music...a place to dance out of the way, quieter areas to watch music and an open deck for the outdoor lovers. If you check out Austin, this is a place worth visiting.

4. The Second Gleam - The Avett Brothers
Favorite album of 08
And the most influential album for me. Simple, emotionally raw songs and writing that is unbelievably honest. I just wish I could attend more of their shows without crying!




3. 5/4/08, Emerson Theater, Bozeman MT
Favorite live show of 08
My most memorable show of 08 was WILCO in Bozeman last summer. One of the longest, most rocking events of my life. Added bonus: meeting Jeff Tweedy in the parking lot. Minus bonus: the boyfriend almost blinding him with the camera. Nevermind what others on the web are saying, this the band is the most rocking live act right now (okay according to me).

2. Hillary Clinton
Favorite female of 08
The original underdog...Ms. Clinton braved a tough field in the 08 election. No one seems to want to give her credit, they would rather talk about her being a bitch or fighting for what she wants. News flash folks: politics ain't nice, especially when you are one of the few women on the field. I'm very proud of this lady - and look forward to what she brings to the table as the new Secretary of State.

1. Jackson Hole Music Festival
Favorite New tradition of 08
Finally! After years of speculation, Festival Network managed to create the kind of festival only imaginable in Jackson Hole, with some of the hottest live acts in the biz right now (including Wilco & The Avett Brothers). With local "tweeners" in between touring acts, a watering hole, reusable wares, local goods and so much more, the 1st annual festival kicked off in a major way...can't wait to see who plays in 09.

Below: Clip from JH Music Fest - The Black Crowes.

No comments: