Friday, March 13, 2009

They Call it Home

I've been wondering lately (a little too intensely) about the concept of home and our "localities." Having moved around quite a bit in the last 5/6 years, home has generally just evolved with me. But, if anyone asks "So, whereabouts you from," I will immediately answer "North Carolina." But, I wonder if that's true anymore?

The real answer to that question is not so easy. Yeah, I'm from NC, but I spent a good 4 years in South Carolina, then another 4 in Wyoming, before making my way to Austin, TX about 6 months ago. That makes me feel like a very mixed up mutt. In between all the moving around, I lost a good portion of that Southern twang, picked up a good bit of Western know-it-all and now slosh around even better Texas twang.

I've noticed in each area I move to, there is huge, I mean huge, pride in being a "local" and even more in "born, raised, stayed." In every area, it's exactly the same. And don't you dare call yourself a local around one of them...that's just cause for a fight. But, wait, I can't call myself a local in NC (b/c I haven't lived there in 8 years or so), or Wyoming (even though I OWN a place there), or in Texas (b/c I just haven't been here LONG enough). So where do I fit in?

Nowhere you say? Yeah, exactly. Hmm, maybe home is "where the heart is." Oh wait, that just made me puke in my mouth a bit. Nope, home has to be much simpler than that. It's got to be that place that takes my money every month for a dry square of land.

And local pride? Well, okay, if you were lucky enough to be born, raised and choose to live (for all your life - those are the luckiest) in let's say, Poodunc, USA town, well okay I'll let that slide. Because, damn you sure are lucky to never have lived in any other amazing places just the US has to offer. But, I digress....

No comments: