Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Nocturnals and Theremins??

I know, I know...it's been well over a week since my last post. Which means a- I've been quite lazy, and b- I have a lot to catch everyone up on. This may be the first of many posts today (just a warning).

One more thing before I really dig in here - GO VOTE!!! This election is so important on so many levels, so be a part of that!

Now, onto blogging...

(Grace and Scott, lead guitarist)

Last Thursday a crew of us headed to see my buds Grace Potter & The Nocturnals at the Parish and had a very entertaining evening. The Parish is such a great music venue and has a fun, hip vibe - I will definitely be going back to many many more shows there.

The show was, as usual, filled with high energy, smokin' solos and some intense vocals by Miss Grace. There were some new tunes that really grabbed me, especially "Outta My Tree"- a funky soulful tune that reminds you not to let em' shake those apples right outta your tree. There's a great live recording of this tune from Sun Studios in Memphis - check it out by clicking here.

But, the most memorable part of the evening was watching Bryan, the bassist, play the weirdest looking instrument I've seen in a while...the Theremin! I had NEVER heard of this before and watching someone play one is all at once hilarious and spooky because it looks like they are playing a satellite signal and shaking their hands around like they could have some issues upstairs...too funny. I can't even do justice to try and explain the Theremin - so go look it up!

I know I always go on and on about the bands I think everyone should see, so today's no different. The Nocturnals are killing it right now and they are one of the nicest bands around. Their music instantly turns the worst of dancers into booty shakers! So, check out their schedule and go see them! All you Jackson folk, they will be coming back through in November at the Pink Garter.

No comments: