Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Taste of Austin Blues with Seth Walker

About a week ago Aaron and I caught an interesting show at the Parish in downtown Austin. I had discovered that Seth Walker was playing a free show that night and decided that we HAD to go. Seth is a local blues/cajun/soul musician and the buzz has been brewing around him for some time. The event wasn't quite a full-fledged concert, and we found ourselves in the midst of an "awareness" night...very innneresting. When Seth finally hit the stage I thought "this guy better be awesome, because this is the weirdest setting ever and I am ready to bolt for the door." Thank goodness, he was indeed awesome...and more! I was impressed with his soulful voice and his mix of raw blues and Ray Charlesy ballads. That boy knows some blues, that's for sure. And, with the emotion he puts into his performance, I would bet he's lived through some blues as well.

No comments: